In a city full of dazzling lights and ‘malling’ preoccupations, it is getting rarer and rarer to come across dine-in places that are child-friendly in terms of food, as well as ambience and recreation. With its ‘leisurely’ location in the Leisure Valley Park in Sector 29, Gurgaon, Roots- Cafe in the Park, still stands out as a welcome relief. This place ticks all my boxes for being a child-friendly place for many reasons:
- With its part-enclosed and part-open seating space, punctuated with little winding paths, trees and lush yet non-manicured lawns, it provides enough space for kids to climb, run, prance, dance, and everything in between!
- Slides, swings and trees still serve as age-old and time-tested ways of recreation, rather than the more widely seen TV and X-Box screens intended to ‘keep the little ones occupied’
- They use fresh and truly organic produce to whip up a simple yet scrumptious menu that is interesting enough for children to want to try, yet as wholesome as ‘ghar ka khaana’. What kids love most is choosing their own order and writing it on the little notepad brought to each table.
- It isn’t just their food that is organic and environment-friendly- everything about their decor and energy use is too- a wonderful way for kids to see energy-saving in action
- The adjacent Leisure Valley Park and Energy Centre (it even offers solar car rides!) are excellent add-ons for an enjoyable and fun family outing
- They let out their open space for birthday celebrations- outdoor games, swings, balloons hanging from the trees…really, what more could a child want?